Transcend the Binary has once again partnered with the University of Michigan to generate crucial insights to advance the quality of care that our t/gnc community receives. As a sequel to Finding Our Strength, which explored stressors in our daily life – including but not limited to healthcare – this Michigan Trans Health Survey is a deeper, more comprehensive look at our experience within healthcare.
This is your opportunity to help us take the next step forward. Your response will help us:
- Advocate for greater access to care
- Assess the overal health of our community
- Advocate for changes on a policy level and drive inclusion
- Inform future training & education of healthcare providers on what you expect from a gender-affirming doctor/provider
Our community needs you. The more who respond, the louder our voice becomes, together.
TRANS HEALTH SURVERY F-A-Q’s
The goals of this survey are to:
1) Assess the state of transgender and non-binary people’s health here in Michigan, including access to doctors, current health, ability to get trans affirming care, experiences with interpersonal violence, mental health concerns, etc.
2) Better understand how medical providers need to shift their practice and approach to care to be as trans affirming in their communication and care as possible.
3) Collect a baseline of information, such as how many transgender and non-binary people are insured, what they are having to pay out of pocket for care, if they are being offered tests and preventative care, etc., in order to work towards changing policies regarding inclusivity.
Is this confidential?
Yes – in fact, it is anonymous! We are not collecting names, birth dates, zip codes, IP addresses, phone numbers, or any other information that can connect your answers to you. Your responses with be “aggregated” (combined with) all of the other responses so that we can look at trends, and experiences of certain identities within these communities, rather than at individuals responses.
Do I get paid?
As a thank you for completing the survey, we are happy to provide you a $10 gift card as a thank you for your time! A link will take you to a NEW survey (separate from your answers) to ask for you conact information so that we can send you this gift card. Otherwise, we are unfortunately, we are not able pay participants or outreach coordinators and are only recruiting volunteers.
Who has access to this data?
Dr. Kattari and her research team (which includes others researchers in social work, nursing, public health, psychology, and OB-GYN, as well as graduate students who are interested in improving trans related health care and mental health support structures – both trans/non-binary and cisgender individuals). Transcend the Binary and their staff. Eventually, we also hope to share the data with others community members and researchers who are dedicated to disrupting transphobia and ciscentrism, and working to improve policy and practice for the trans community.
Have more questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more answers.
Want to know how you can help? Spread the word! The more of our community that responds, the louder our voice will become!